Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Kids Cook Dinner

Skyler had the idea to let the kids pick what they wanted for dinner and then on the day that we have that they get to help cook it. This was a good idea because the kids LOVE it. They get so excited for their day to cook and excited about eating it. Now I have a really hard time with this because the kitchen is my domain and having lots of little hands grabbing and wanting to do everything that minute when it isn't time or there just aren't enough of me to watch them. (say with a knife or something). But I am sticking to it because it makes them happy. If nothing else it is one on one time with them one day a week. I think they need more of that but this is a start.

So we started with Reagan. She chose her very favorite thing ever. Taco Soup. She cooked the hamburger all by herself and was very proud. I had to help her open cans but she did dump them in. Then when the soup was done we made quesadillas. They are really good to dip in the soup. We discovered this because Ryker doesn't like the soup and has a quesadilla instead. Once I stole one of his pieces and dipped it in my soup. Really good. So now everyone does it and we have a super tastey meal. So here she is cooking.


Next was Ryker's turn. He wanted "cow". (Funny. None of them call it beef or roast. They are eating cow. Everything was "can I put salt on my cow" "is this cow" "can I have more cow" Made me laugh) Anyway, we had potatoes and noodles with it. Ryker really did cut the potatoes. I have no pictures of it because I didn't want to leave that unsupervised for even a second. He gets excited and just goes for it. As fast as he can. That meant loose a finger if I turned around for a second. So the put all the spices and everything in the crock pot and we let it cook. Then when Skyler came home he help make noodles. (We made shells and white cheddar noodle roni stuff because Ryker really wanted that and doesn't like potatoes. So we made both for everyone.) And of course biscuits. Ryker sometimes really lives on rolls or biscuits. Okay not lives but it is sometimes his whole meal. So here is Ryker cooking his "cow" and all the fixings. (note: Ryker didn't like "cow" until about a week or two before this)



Jax said he wanted noodles for dinner when asked. I asked him what kind and he said "elbow" while pointing to his elbow. Now that was so cute I couldn't say no. So I thought of something that everyone would like that I could use "elbow" noodles for. I decided Chicken Parmesan. Jax helped me bread the chicken. It was funny. He did a really good job and did all but one by himself. He did touch the raw chicken and then lick his fingers which made me cringe and Jocelyn picked up a piece of what she thought was probably just bread crumbs but turned out to be a little piece of chicken with bread crumbs and tried to eat it and that made me really cringe. Other than that we had no problems. After he breaded the chicken he pretty much just sat and watched. So I had him set the table and once that was done he just sat in his seat and waited. He had fun but doesn't quite get it yet. Here is Jax cooking his meal.



We had a family cooking night too. We made pizza. This is another one of those things that the kids love but is hard for me. It takes a lot to made pizza, especially with kids. Talk about mess. I just have to breath. Anyway, They all rolled out their own pizza and put their own toppings on. They were born into a pizza family so they are naturals. It really isn't that hard if I think about it, but all the flour...... So here they all are. Rolling out, sauce, cheese, chicken (for all but Ryker), bacon (for the J's), more cheese, oven. Cook. Take out of oven after checking 16 times in as many minutes. ENJOY!!!! It was fun. Even with the flour. Of course after we ate I made cookies with Christmas M&M's so I must not have been too bugged. Here we all are. Belly and all.



That is the end of our adventures. I hope there weren't too many typo's and that is made sense. Thanks to all who read all of it even though it was boring. LOVE!
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Julie said...

This is the cutest idea! I love it! I will someday implement it once Eliza moves on from mac n cheese, if she does.

Mary said...

What a good idea! I think those will be great memories for the kids. The chicken-licking is funny.

Marcy said...

What a great idea. I'm sure it meant so much to them!

Emily said...

That is so fun!!! What a great idea! I am excited to be there for some of it soon!!

PaigeE said...

I also get a night every once in a while! Why didn't you take pictures of me cutting up chicken and vegetables for chicken pot pie?
Your kids are adorable and I don't think I'll be kissing them any time soon with their raw chicken mouths. . .
LOVERS

Sharon said...

That's a good idea!

Nate and Ashley said...

i love it. SUPER cute! I do NOT have the patience. The pizza looks YUMMY. Invite me next time;)

Jessica Speed said...

I too love that idea! You're awesome to stick with it! What great memories you're making. :)

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

I bet the kids loved this, it is definatly worth the mess if they did.

Sandy said...

Ok, so I am a bit slow. I finally figured out how to get to your blog. What a wonderful night. It looks like the kids had a great time,
teach then early and they will love to cook and eat more foods. I love all the pictures too! Great job Jenny, your are a great mom!