Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Backyard Bonanza

This year I had the genius idea of tearing apart the backyard and making it more usable.  It was kind of like a hill back there and all the water would pool in one spot and then make a really lovely swamp.  Real fun for the kids.  Needless to say, we never used it.  In the 2 years we lived here we avoided the backyard like the plague.  Well, I got sick of it.  I spent my days looking out the back window envisioning what I wanted it to look like.  And since I have such an amazing husband, he said "whatever you want dear", or something like that.  So I told him what to do and he found the cheapest way to do it and away we went.  

I didn't get any real before pictures so you get a slightly begun before.





One day I went out there and started digging where I wanted my retaining wall/garden to be.  That is when we found out that there was/is a pipe going through that backyard.  Super.  Ironically the pipe was in the exact right spot.  We dug out in front of it and then where the pipe is a back towards that back fence would be raised.  So the above pictures are of the boys digging it out to start to make it level.  We took out 2 truck loads of dirt.  






Then we built my pretty wall (sigh).  Skyler and I went out there one day and knocked that sucker out in about an hour.  Boo Ya!  I was pretty proud.  I still am in fact.  It was exactly my vision.  

Then we brought in dirt.  Well compost.  I needed some good stuff for all the loveliness I had planned.  This was the kids favorite part.  Dallin had a small wheel barrow that was a perfect size for Ryker.  He sure felt macho.


He would give directions to my mom and then he would let one of the kids get in and he would give them a ride back to the truck. 


Come on Mia, more than that.  He was a little demanding.  Hey bud, you get up there and scoop it.  Geeze.




Reagan of course wanted a turn too.  That was a little scary.  Everyone survived though.

After the compost was in we finished taking out the bad dirt to make it completely level.  Next we got sod.  That is when I fell in love.  (okay that might be a little dramatic.)  That is when it looked almost finished.  








Oh the loveliness.  I planted vegetables on the one side and then did flowers in the rest.  Everything is growing  wonderfully.  
I love being in my backyard.  It makes me happy.  

You should know that the pictures do not do it justice.  So you should come over and hang out with me.  :)

Not pictured:  we put pavers under the deck and then have our sandbox under there.  The perfect spot for the kids to play.  

We never would have been able to do this without help from our family and friends.  Especially Mom and Dallin for the many times we used their truck and them to drive it.  
THANK YOU EVERYONE!

7 comments:

PaigeE said...

I'M A GENIUS! (What's that on? No seriously, it's not trivia, I can't figure it out. I can just hear it in my head from when I read the beginning of the post)
Next, can you come finish my backyard? Kthnxby.

Jenny Richards said...

Ice Age. I say it frequently. Good times. And yes, I will. OR I will have Skyler do it.

Bethany Davis said...

Jenny I'm impressed! And a little (well a lot) jealous. Good work!!

emilydeardeuff said...

Wow! It looks beautiful! Way to go! I am impressed with everyone! It looks very professional and lovely!

stephanie said...

Looks awesome...in pictures AND in person!! :) Nice job you guys!!

Brooke said...

It looks so great! Send Skyler over to our house anytime :)

Sharon said...

Wow, you guys are amazing! That looks awesome!